Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Post 53: Something other than drywall

At this point in August, I wanted - NEEDED - to do something else. Pretty much all I had left to do as far as sheetrock was dress up the rest of the ceiling, but the thought of doing any more of that kind of work was really getting to me. I looked around at all of the crap in the garage that really belonged somewhere else, and that I would have to move back and forth multiple times in order to get the ladders in the right places to do the ceiling, and made a decision. It was time to build some shelves.

I went with 2x3 boards because 1) they are cheap, and 2) I didn't like how the 2x4s at the old house seemed to take up so much space when used on-end under the shelves, and I wasn't going to try using them on the flat sides because I figured they'd warp and bend under the weight of the shelves in short order. I think this was a good call overall, but now, a few months later, I can see one or two places where I should have braced the shelves a little better. I'll take care of that someday soon.

So, anyway, simple 2x3 framing with sanded 3/4" pine plywood shelves. Home Depot had a good price on the pine sheets, and I liked the idea of having smooth, easy-to-clean shelves instead of the cheaper-but-scratchy-and-hard-to-clean OSB shelves I had in the old garage. I didn't even draw any plans out for this project. I had spent so much time thinking about the layout as I was doing drywall, I knew pretty much exactly what I wanted it to look like. One weekend I just grabbed the lumber and tools and knocked it out.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment