Monday, January 25, 2016

Post 39: And now for something completely different

Yikes. I suck at blogging.

A lot happened in the last year. The car came a long way in the first 6 months of 2015. I'll post pics and stories about that later. In July we got the bright idea to sell our house and move, so we spent about three months making that a reality. Short version: it was awful, but we ended up with a great house that I fully intend to either retire or die in, whichever comes first. From October until now we've just been settling in and doing the usual housey things.

About a month ago we had the inside of the house in good enough shape that I was able to get out into the garage and start working. It was a nightmare out there, compounded many times over for a guy like me who prefers his garage to be neat, orderly, and clean enough to satisfy food-prep laws.

Case in point - here's the garage I left behind:

Untitled

Untitled


It was about that clean when I still lived there and used it, haha.

The back roll-up door in a tract home is pretty rare, but that garage also had a couple of 220V plugs, a bunch of extra 110V, great lighting, great stereo, a ceiling fan, tons of shelving, and a decent attic space with a finished floor. Now, it took about 11 years to get it in that kind of shape, and we moved from that house into an older one, so my expectations moving in were reasonably low. I do still have a 3-car garage, and while the lack of a back roll-up door is a minus, there are many things I can put into the "plus" column. It is bigger than the old one and has higher ceilings and a nice window for natural light. The floor is in good shape, the third car stall has an alcove at the end that makes it about 4 feet longer than a normal garage, and there is a small but useable attic space above. There is also already a 220V plug where the last guy probably plugged in an air compressor. But it also had about three 110V receptacles and 1 (ONE) freaking light bulb on a switch for the entire space. And it didn't look to me like the previous owner had other lights and things that he took with him, either. I think he just didn't go in the garage too much.

Anyway, a month ago.

I came up with what I imagine is a pretty standard plan of attack. Add more 110V receptacles. Add more 220V receptacles. Add more lights.

My lunch break is over. I guess I'll have to continue this tomorrow. Or maybe next January, for consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment