Thursday, January 28, 2016

Post 41: Demo, stage 1

I spent a long time thinking about the design of the garage, but you probably don't want to read about that. Let's just say that I thought I knew what I wanted, so I started tearing off drywall panels.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Then my dad came to help me add a new 20A circuit and I wired up a bunch of receptacles in the alcove where the workbench was going to live. I have a 200A panel on the house and there was a ton of room left, so we put in a 50A circuit and I installed a new 220V plug back in the corner as well. In the old garage I had one by the front door and one by the back door, and between the two I could use a welder pretty much anywhere in the stall without an extension cord.

Untitled

Untitled

At some point, I thought to myself, "sometimes I want to work in the garage but it's too cold, and insulating a wall or two would be nice." So I did that.

Untitled

Untitled

I didn't have to use the R-13 with the plastic moisture barrier, but that kind was strangely cheaper than the regular paper-faced batts at Lowes. Next, we realized that the existing 220V was a 30A and connected with pretty light gauge wire, so we swapped that out for a 50A and 10ga wire, then added a 110V for good measure.

Untitled

Untitled

You know what happened next. Of course I couldn't stop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment