Monday, March 3, 2014

Post 18: Clean slate

Good news: I proved my wife's 1 day = 3 days algorithm wrong. Bad news: I did it by taking 5 days to sandblast the frame. Oh well.

Haven't posted in a while but I've been busy. Ended up tearing the motor back down to the short block, and aside from having to throw away my 1-time use GM head bolts, I'm glad I did it. I wasn't comfortable with the specs on the camshaft in the motor, and what pushed me over the edge was finding another cam on sale that was much better suited to the intake and heads I want to run. The new one is significantly bigger, but the tech I spoke to at Tick Performance assured me that it's a "daily driver" cam and will have good manners and a smooth idle. I am straddling the "sleeper" line here, as I really want the Ford to appear stock but naturally I can't help but hot-rod the motor. Hopefully with the quad muffler setup I'm planning the car won't draw too much attention.

Aside from the engine, I've been working on the frame for a few weeks. It's finally sandblasted and in the garage. I can't really get any farther into the project than this...

005

003


How the hell did I get to this point? Well, the story that ended with the decision to take the body off the frame is a long one, but for now I can at least show the progression from "car still in one piece" to "bare frame sitting next to the car," with a few other changes along the way.

Here's the day my dad and I crossed the line into "frame-off restoration" territory.

011 (2)

012 (2)

013 (2)

014 (2)

015 (2)


This is the next day, taking stock of a frame I'd only ever seen from underneath.

019 (2)

020 (2)

021 (2)

022 (2)

029 (2)

023 (2)

024 (2)

025 (2)

Tomorrow I'll put up pictures of when I started tearing into (and cutting things out of) the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment