Thursday, March 6, 2014

Post 20: Clean slate, part 3

After I got the transmission crossmember looking the way I wanted, I had to figure out how to attach it to the frame. Initially, I was going to weld it in. I thought that would help alleviate any potential weakness I caused by cutting out the old, welded-in crossmember assembly. But then I realized that as much as I'd rather not, I will almost certainly be pulling the drivetrain out in the future, and having to slide the transmission around under the car to clear a huge crossmember would not be fun. So I went to the hardware store and bought a few giant bolts and a few lengths of steel tubing with the same I.D. as the diameter of the bolts - in this case, 1/2".

I planned to use 4 or at least 3 bolts per side to hold it all together, but once I started mapping things out I saw that I didn't leave myself a ton of room to drill slightly bigger than 1/2" holes in either the crossmember ends or the framerails. At least not 4 holes concentrated together. I started with 2 instead, and when they were about done I decided that 2 would be enough. They're friggin' huge.

I tacked the crossmember in place so it wouldn't shift and then started drilling. I drilled the holes most of the way using regular bits and finished off the last step with a uni-bit. That was so I could bevel the edge of the hole and give me something to tack weld the tubing to that would still be there after I ground them flush with the rails again. The hardest part was drilling through both sides of the frame at once. I didn't have to do that, but it was the best way I could figure out how to make sure the holes in the frame and crossmember stayed aligned the whole time. In the end it turned out well.

001

002

007

006

005

I thought I took a few pictures of the finished, welded crush sleeves but I can't find them. Probably still on the camera. I guess you can use your imagination. Anyway, everything worked as planned and now you're up to date on the frame work. The last few pictures are from when I flipped the frame over to blast the bottom (not too hard to do - it was lighter than I thought), the finished product, and the method I used to blow all of the sand out of the frame after I finished blasting. I don't know if I'll ever get it ALL out, but it's mostly gone.

001

002

003

007

004

005

006

008

009

002

No comments:

Post a Comment