Monday, February 22, 2016

Post 45: Forget what I said last time

I totally hate finishing drywall.

I'm on coat 4 of mud in the alcove.  I think this will do it.  I probably could have gotten by with 3, but a few stupid, unreasonable factors keep me going in an effort to get the walls perfect.  One, my perfectionist nature.  Two, procrastination.  I don't want to do the ceiling, so I keep working on the walls.  Three, other perfectionist-procrastinators who go one step beyond a personal blog and post their similar projects on garage forums.  I go there looking for opinions on paint sheen, and end up working myself into a knot over twisted studs (that I can't fix), wavy 1/2" drywall panels (that aren't 5/8" because I can't afford or lift those), perfect seams and skim coats of mud in order to fix the aforementioned issues (that I don't have because I'm not a professional finisher), and whether semi-gloss would be too bright, too reflective, or simply show too many of the defects in the panels (that is a stupid thing to worry about because paint is cheap and if I don't like the first sheen I can easily paint over it with something else).

You don't have to say it.  I know that this is a garage.  I know that it's pretty much only going to be me out there, and it'll only ever be me who notices imperfect joints or pinholes in the mud.  I know that ultimately, most of the walls will be covered up with cabinets, tools, shelves, and other stuff.  I get all of that.  I guess it's just like the Ford - I want to do the best job I can while I'm up to my neck in it, and never have to do it again.

I get that I'll have to pull the trigger and paint the walls sometime.  I've almost convinced myself that 4 coats of mud will be enough.

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment