Friday, January 3, 2014

Post 3

Made decent progress on the undercarriage today.  Anyone out there who deals with salty roads and/or air, look away.  This is what a purebred 60 year-old California car looks like under the factory schutz.


001
003
002
I've basically been using a few different wire brush attachments with my angle grinder. In the tight spots I use a small brush with a drill. Once in a while I'll break out the air dremel with a small sanding disc.   It takes a while but it's cleaner than sandblasting and cheaper than having someone else do it (that's a theme with this car - I do all my own stunts).

After it's either bare metal or clean paint, I've been wiping it down with pre-paint cleaner. Then I'm painting it with Zero Rust. When I'm all done under there I will coat the entire undercarriage with roll-on bedliner.  The only reason I'm doing this much work is because I'm tired of getting 60 years of dirt and crap in my eyes every time I work on the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment